Thursday, September 29, 2011

Home Preschool Ideas

Preschool is to prepare kid to go into kindergarten. They need to learn social, emotional and intellectual things. When looking at my children and my situation I decided that I could provide a preschool environment for my children and save the $75 - $100 per month spent in tuition and gas.

The targets that children need to reach before entering preschool are these...

(these are from Ready! for Kindergarten)
Language and Literacy
  • enjoys being read to and can retell a story
  • recognized the names and sounds of 12-15 letters (lower case)
  • repeats beginning and ending sounds in words
  • speaks in complete sentences
  • prints his or her first name (Capital first letter and the rest lower case)
Math and Reasoning
  • counts in order 1-20
  • recognizes numbers and quantities 1-5
  • names and sorts items by color (12 of them), shape (15 of them), and size
  • understands concepts like more, less, same, over, big and small
Social and Emotional
  • settles into new groups and situations
  • can concentrate for 5 minutes
  • follows simple directions
  • shows kindness and concern for others
With this guideline I have come up with a way to school my kids at home. Here are a few ideas...


 I created a closet with lots of kids games, puzzles and craft supplies. I then filled a jar with blue sticks with the activities and another jar with songs. Here are the games that I had or made up that I thought would be great learning for them...

  • twister
  • name that letter
  • your baby can read video
  • string beads
  • color pictures
  • nursery rhymes
  • read a book
  • freeze dance (freeze when the music stops)
  • name that color
  • I spy (colors, shapes, letters around the house)
  • Sorry
  • Bingo
  • blocks
  • red light, green light
  • yahtzee
  • duck duck goose
  • simon says
  • Prepositional friend (name a prep like under and then have someone hide a toy under something)
  • playdoh (make letter or number shapes)
  • name that shape
  • Hide and seek
  • hokey pokey
  • musical chairs (teaches kids it's ok to lose)
  • sing songs
  • cootie game
  • hang man

 below are the nursery rhymes
 below is a game that I made up. The kids have to sort the beads into piles and put then in the right place in the eg carton. Teaches sorting, number recognition, and colors.
 Below is "I spy" I say I spy the letter K. What sound does the K make?
 We decided to read all the books we could. So far we have read 16 new book since the 1st of September.
 Preposition cards are fun for the kids.
 After we read a book we talk about the feelings of the characters. We talk about what would help them to feel better and what we should do if we felt like that. This has been great!
 There are a lot more things I have made up but I want to talk lastly about this book. It has been so good in giving me ideas. My friend lent it to me and afte I kept it for so long she gave it to me!! Check it out!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my these are such great ideas! I have been trying to do preschool at home with my boys too, but I have been struggling with ideas so this helped me out so much! You are such a good momma!

    ReplyDelete