Friday, January 11, 2013

Guess who's coming for dinner...Sister and Elder Risenmay (of the Seventy)

The Gospel is like an iceberg. Our laws and commandments are the tip. We are taught and commanded to live in a way that will allow for a deeper testimony to be revealed to us. With that comes more responsibility as well as the peace in truly knowing our divine potential and destination.

Brandon and I have a new "hobby". It is studying about and discussing church history. We have really enjoyed all that we are learning especially about the ancient church and the preparation of the world for the restoration on the earth.

In these discussions I suggested that we invite our the Risenmays over for dinner. They are in our ward and I have enjoyed the spirit of having them in our ward. We wanted to invite that spirit into our home as well as learn all about them.

They defiantly brought the spirit. We found it very refreshing to spend the evening talking religion other then other things of no value.

I felt I needed to blog because of something he said that I just can't let slip out of my mind.

As we ate, talked and picked their brains they began talking about family.

He has such a kind smile. He looked at each of us and then to his wife and said, "You have a wonderful spirit in your home. We feel it, but it is time to fine tune it." He said that we need to have FHE, Scripture study, and morning and night time prayers.

He is right. We do those things but not as consistently as we should. He said that the children will remember and cherish those times together as a family. As they grow and have their troubles they may cease having personal prayers and praying as a family may be the only prayers they get that day. As our kids grow up they will carry what we do over to their families. He talked about their 6 children and how much joy they have as they go to their houses and sit with their grandchildren as their kids carry on the traditions that they remember.

After they left I felt very blessed to have a servant of the Lord in my home. To have he and his wife compliment our home and our children. But most of all...I felt blessed that he told us to fine tune our interactions with the Lord.

I loved that he said, "As you kneel and pray morning and night you are inviting Him to be a part of your lives."

I know that I am a mere mortal, a natural man because of the fall of Adam. I know that through inviting Him into my days I can feel a peacefulness that is granted only by and through righteousness and diligence in keeping my covenants and enjoying till the end. I know that through my diligence, the Holy Ghost can manifest more and more of the iceberg to me. My prayers are now filled with gratitude as well as pleadings that I will know what he would have me do and teach in my little family so that my children will have a firm foundation at this young age. So that they will know where to turn in times of trials. So that we will all return to our Father together.

No comments:

Post a Comment