Monday, September 13, 2010

How I Defeated Morning Sickness...sorta....

This pregnancy has been much easier then the others in the way of morning sickness. I don't know if it's due to my knowledge and experience with the others or if this is just easier this time. Either way I'm excited about all that I am learning and implementing this time. I thought I could write it out so that I'll know for next time and others can try my little tricks too! 1. Eat all night long. Whenever I'm pregnant in the beginning I wake up 2-4 times in the night to go to the bathroom. After I go I grab a bite of something, whether I'm hungry or not. This time I found that Kashi's Autumn Wheat works for me. I also eat almonds and sometimes saltines through the night. 2. Water. Sip all day long. I carry a water bottle with me all day and refill it a few times. A big part of my nausea is due to the taste in my mouth. Not drinking enough water makes my mouth almost foamy. Even when drinking enough you will have increased saliva and I spit all day long. Also I cramp if I don't have enough water...not good. 3. No sugar. This time I have learned that sugar makes me nauseous. I'm talking sweets as well as too much fruit. I have also found that rice, pasta, and breads are hard on my stomach. I don't know why and haven't really looked into it. If I am eating a little bit of whole grains it's ok as long as there is protein with it. Ex: Tortilla with meat inside. Toast with eggs. Fruit is ok but only a few pieces. (A trick to eating the most healthy friut is to choose fruits with the most vibrant color on the inside, or the meat of the fruit. ex: plum vs apple.) This has been hard because I still want a chocolate chip cookie even though I know it will make me sick. 4. Protein. I eat a few bites of protein whenever I start to feel sick. This has been hard to eat when I feel sick but it wakes it go away almost immediately. It is hard to fix my own meals and sometimes I gag the whole time I'm fixing it but it's worth it to feel better in the end. A few things that work well for me is cheese sticks, nuts, cubed ham, eggs, shredded wheat, and I am going to try ezekiel bread. 5. Small portions. I remember that I will be nauseous again in a half hour so I just eat bites at a time. Otherwise, I will be full and sick. 6. Ginger. It works for me. I found a candy called, Reeds Ginger Candy. I bite off 1/3 and hold it at the roof of my mouth. I have been told to try peppermint and I have been thinking of trying Altoids. (The ginger candy has sugar buy I don't get sick from it) I think that's it for now but I will add more as I learn more. When I was at my sister's house last week she helped a lot by telling me what to eat, because I can never decide what to eat, and a lot of times making it for me so that I don't have to gag the whole time. Also she picked mint and boiled it. The smell filled the house and was soothing to me. I hope this helps anyone struggling. Let me know what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment