Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Changes...

Ok so lately I have been obsessed... We watched Food Inc. and I decided that I wanted to eat better and make better purchases. They said that the types od food that you buy at the store "vote" for what types of food the store provides. I am already kind of a hippy but I waver...this is why...It's expensive! So now I'm obsessed with finding a way to be healthy on a budget. Here are a few changes that we are making.... 1. Oatmeal for breakfast. It's inexpensive and I add much less sugar then they put in cereal. Some nights when we eat brown rice I make a lot and we eat that like oatmeal...YUM! 2. Cloth Diapers. They make them so easy to use now and we are doing prefolds so they are very cost effective. 3. Home made cleaning agents. 4. Home made whole wheat bread and tortillas. 5. Meat...that's a tuffy...We are eating meat less and beans more to have enough money to buy good meat. (Luckily we love beans!) 6. Finding ingredient replacements that are less expensive but more healthy. Ex: For chicken salad sandwiches replace chicken with mashed chickpeas. 7. make better purchases. good eggs and healthier brands. These are just a few things that we have been doing. There are still a few more things that I want to introduce to this family... 1. Recycle (it's hard to recycle around here because you have to drive 30 min to get to a recycle center!) 2. Upcycle things. I have seen where people fix up thrift store purchases so that they can use them and I want to try! Maybe clothes or home decor. 3. I am thinking about going back to rice milk vs cow milk...we'll see what Brandon says about that! I have also been looking for recipes that have less sugar and fats...more veggies. I think we will have more vegetarian nights. Wish be luck! Any suggestions???

2 comments:

  1. Love it! We have a great lentil chili recipe that is really inexpensive and very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I love this! I just watched that lately too, and it really made me feel like we have to make some changes. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete