Monday, July 26, 2010

My Garden

This year I planted my first garden. I was really nervous. I didn't want to spend the money on a garden and then have nothing grow. I started reading books and talking to people. I soon learned that every one's soil is different, even my neighbors. I just had to bite the bullet and try and fail and try again. Brandon wasn't super excited about it. He said that I can do whatever I wanted but he didn't really want to help. I am pretty sure he didn't think anything was going to grow. Then when the garden took off we were both thrilled and surprised so we put up a little fence around it to protect my little sprouts from the kids. (They "weeded" a few tomatoes.) As the garden started to grow we kept finding new sprouts all over the place, because Nix helped plant there were lettuce heads growing everywhere! I have found a few tomatoes, cantaloupe, and broccoli out of place too. I wanted more space so I planted pumpkin and rhubarb along the house. Enjoy my pics! Comment and tell me what I should do better next year!!

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea! You could try and plant new things next year, let me know if you get any good tips though. I could use them myself. Do you have a compost pile going so you can use all of your chicken manure and feed your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be scared of composting, it really isn't gross at all! I wrote a post all about it http://buildingthebasics.blogspot.com/2010/07/compost.html We have way less garbage now, and its fun to see our scraps go back to feeding us! Let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete