Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ginger Soy Tilapia with Asian Cabbage Salad

Dinner tonight was so YUMMY! I had planned on having lemon chicken but I don't have any chicken. I looked in the cupboard and say sesame oil and I thought, "Hmmm...what can I make with that?" So I went online to Kalyn's Kitchen and found Asian Cabbage Salad with Grilled Ginger-Soy Pork Chops. Well all was fine and dandy but I wanted Tilapia. So....I used the pork chop marinade for the tilapia. I used all natural peanut butter instead of the peanut oil and pan fried it in olive oil. I added a little cayenne pepper instead of the red pepper flakes because of the kids. With the cabbage salad I left out the seseme seeds because I fifn't have any and used minced garlic. I also used dried ginger because I didn't have any fresh. I also added a few shrimp. IMPROVISE! YUM!!! It sounds weird but you gotta try it!

Asian Cabbage Salad with Sesame Seeds (Makes about 4 servings, recipe adapted from the original South Beach Diet Book.) 6 cups green cabbage, sliced in strips (about 1/2 large head of cabbage) 2 T sesame seeds, toasted 2 T peanuts (or more) Dressing: 2 T rice vinegar (don't use seasoned vinegar, which contains sugar) 1 T sesame oil 1 T agave nectar (can use honey but agave nectar is lower on the glycemic index) 1/8 tsp. Thai Chili Garlic Paste (or use a few drops of your favorite hot sauce) 1/8 tsp. grated ginger (I used ginger puree from a jar)
Slice cabbage in strips about 3/8 inch wide, cutting strips in half crosswise is they are too long. Mix rice vinegar, sesame oil, agave nectar, Thai Chili Garlic Paste and ginger in a small jar and shake to combine. (Can also wisk together in a bowl.) Toast sesame seeds about 1 minute in a small dry pan, until they start to be fragrant and slightly browned. Put cabbage strips into mixing bowl, toss well with dressing, arrange on individual serving plates and sprinkle with sesame seeds and peanuts.
GRILLED GINGER-SOY PORK CHOPS (4-6 servings, recipe created by Kalyn) 4-6 boneless pork chops Marinade: 1/4 cup peanut oil 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup rice vinegar (be sure not to get seasoned rice vinegar, it contains sugar) 1 tsp. dried chili pepper flakes (You could use cayenne pepper, but reduce the amount.) 2 tsp. ginger puree (also called ground ginger) 2 tsp. garlic puree (also called ground garlic) 1 tsp. dried mustard

No comments:

Post a Comment